Martin Luther King, Jr. inspired the world and helped ignite a revolution that changed the way people thought. Even today he is one of the most respected public figures who ever lived. For his part in the civil rights movement, his birthday was made a federal holiday to be observed the third Monday of January beginning in 1983. This year, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day will be celebrated Monday, Jan. 20.
His nonviolent practices while protesting racial inequality have been a blueprint to similar protests throughout the world. King taught the world that there are ways to create change without violence. He also promoted community activism and the importance of taking an interest in the world around you – helping wherever you can. To celebrate King’s birthday, we have put together some of his most inspirational quotes for you to enjoy.
Get Inspired By Martin Luther King Jr.
If you are looking for a bit of motivation this January or at any time this year, remember these inspiring words from Martin Luther King Jr.:
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
- “Faith is taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase.”
- “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- “Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.”
- “There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”
- “If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.’”
- “Only in the darkness can you see the stars.”
Give Back To Your Community This Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day isn’t just a day to remember an American hero, it is also a day to give back to the community in which you live. Whether you plan to do something small this Monday, or something big, it is important that you have the opportunity to make your community better. There are so many opportunities to help – you can volunteer at your local food shelf, walk and pet animals at the humane society or volunteer at the homeless shelter. Just cleaning up your community or a simple act of kindness can make your community a better place to live.
Another great way to do something positive for your community is to donate your vehicle to Wheels For Wishes. Your car donation to Wheels For Wishes benefits Make-A-Wish and helps grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. Make-A-Wish averages a wish-granted every 38 minutes. Each wish is as unique as the child who made the wish. Wheels For Wishes makes it easy to donate. Car, truck, RV, ATV, motorcycle or boat, we will pick it up or tow it away free of cost. Plus, you receive the maximum possible tax deduction for your donation.
You can impact the lives of children all across the country and in your community – from places like Baltimore, Savannah and Fremont. All you need to do is call 1-855-871-9474 or make your donation online using our simple donation form. It really is that easy to help children in your community. Make a difference today, call now!